BREAD OF LIFE MINISTRIES

TEACHINGS DESIGNED TO EDUCATE, EDIFY & MAKE YOU THINK!!
____________________
Website: www.rlkeller4291.wixsite.com/mysite
Ministry Blog Link: www.pandevidamin.blogspot.com
Author Blog Link: www.rlkeller-christianauthor.blogspot.com
Stop by and check them out from time to time to see what has changed. May God's blessings to you be abundant. rlkeller

TOTAL PAGEVIEWS

Thursday, September 15, 2011

BEING GENTLE



Colossians 3:12 (NIV) “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”

CLOTHE (def): To cover as if with clothing.

GENTLENESS / GENTLE (def): Considerate or kindly in disposition; amiable and tender; not harsh or severe; mild and soft.

CONSIDERATE (def): Having regard for the needs or feelings of others.

DISPOSITION (def): One's usual mood; temperament; a habitual inclination; a tendency.

Matthew 7:12 (NLT) “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.”

I have always tried, with the help of God, to follow the instruction found in Matthew 7:12. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” It always made so much sense to me. I didn’t follow it solely because I wanted people to be considerate to me in return, but it just seemed like a better way to live your life; a more positive way to behave. Trust me when I tell you that the majority of the time I did NOT receive from people in like manner. Humans are, generally speaking, a selfish lot. It is their natural proclivity; they seem predisposed to it. It’s as if their credo was “do unto others to your own ultimate benefit”. Should that keep me or anyone else from showing consideration and kindness to others, absolutely not.

I will admit that it isn’t easy to live this verse in the face of all this world throws in your face. Our reward will not be found in this world, but rather in the world to come. And we don’t act this verse out solely for the reward that is awaiting us. We act it out because Christ instructs us to. God has a reason for everything He instructs us to do. As we strive to become more like Christ it behooves us to practice those characteristics that represent a Christ-like life. While He was not a pushover or a door mat, as evidenced by the casting out of the money changers in the Temple courtyard, He has served as a living, breathing example. He was the embodiment of mercy, compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

The reason we study the life of Christ is so that we become intimately acquainted with Him in every way. It requires intense focus to the exclusion of all else. Now I am not saying that we are all to cloister ourselves away in seclusion and study God’s word 24/7. What I am saying is that it is supremely important to carve out a slice of time to hone your focus on the Lord. Perhaps a sliver of time at first … gradually working yourself up to a larger amount of time. Throughout my life I have not been very good at this, but my plan is to make a new attempt to shut out that which is around me as I re-focus, fixing my gaze upon my Heavenly Father again. It isn’t an easy task. Your enemy will try to distract you big time. But anything that is truly worth your time is worth your attempt.

Seek to be gentle in spirit. Treat others as you would have them treat you not for any gain you might receive, but because it is a good and right way to live and it is directed by our Lord. He knows what is best for us. Follow His lead and see how the Lord uses you. You will never lose or be a failure in life if you follow in the footsteps of God.

WALK WITH THE KING TODAY AND BE A BLESSING!!

No comments: