BREAD OF LIFE MINISTRIES

TEACHINGS DESIGNED TO EDUCATE, EDIFY & MAKE YOU THINK!!
____________________
Website: www.rlkeller4291.wixsite.com/mysite
Ministry Blog Link: www.pandevidamin.blogspot.com
Author Blog Link: www.rlkeller-christianauthor.blogspot.com
Stop by and check them out from time to time to see what has changed. May God's blessings to you be abundant. rlkeller

TOTAL PAGEVIEWS

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

The 5th Sin Every Christian Must Avoid

A Root of Bitterness

 

Bitterness:  deep seated, often mutual hatred; hostility; resentment. *

 

            Sadly, far too many believers have been hurt by others, including spouses, family members, church leaders and more. They’ve been taken advantage of or flat out lied to and it tends to taint the way those believers may look at God and/or His church. I’ve been lied to by pastors thru the years and totally ignored, though I had valid spiritual gifts to share. While I don’t believe I’ve allowed it to make me bitter or resentful, it has caused me to be distrustful. I wear a shirt that says, “My favorite people are dogs”, and with few exceptions that is a true statement. I’m not overly fond of people in general. Now that may sound like a bold, even unchristian thing to say, but the experiences I’ve gone thru have hurt and shaped the way I view pastors and Christians in general. Generally speaking I love all people, but I have become wary of them. I’m not always ready to trust them at first but knowing that I’m an ambassador for Christ allows me to shift gears and extend a hand of fellowship. I could have become bitter, which would have no doubt stunt my spiritual growth, but I suppose I have matured enough as a believer to know that the offense is against the One I represent and not me. 

            If a person allows the hurts of this life to fester and remain unresolved, then a root of bitterness has a chance to take root in their heart.  Bitterness, resentment, even full blown hatred act like weeds in a garden. It eventually spreads to every area of your life. A bitter person is difficult to be around because everything they think, say, and do seems to revolve around the reason for the resentment. Take heed to the words found in Hebrews 12:15, which urges us to, “See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.” Ephesians 4:31 (AMP) also urges us to, “Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor [perpetual animosity, resentment, strife, fault-finding] and slander be put away from you, along with every kind of malice [all spitefulness, verbal abuse, malevolence].”

            This is another situation that has everything to do with what your focal point in life actually is. If, like Peter, you focus on the wind and the waves when attempting to walk on the water to Jesus, you will sink, but if your focus is squarely on the Lord, you will be fine. Hurts will still come; injustices, and calamitous events brought on by others will still try to knock you off kilter, but if you are focused on the Rock of your Salvation, then nothing will move you. Sure, being human, your initial reaction may not be favorable, but in knowing the Lord personally, you have the spiritual tools to avoid the root of resentment and bitterness to take hold.

            Next we’ll take a look at course language. Until then, walk with the King and be a blessing.

In His Name & for His Glory,

Richard Keller

Bread of Life Ministries

* bitterness. (n.d.) American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. (2011). Retrieved August 11, 2024, fromhttps://www.thefreedictionary.com/bitterness

No comments: