BREAD OF LIFE MINISTRIES

TEACHINGS DESIGNED TO EDUCATE, EDIFY & MAKE YOU THINK!!
____________________
Website: www.rlkeller4291.wixsite.com/mysite
Ministry Blog Link: www.pandevidamin.blogspot.com
Author Blog Link: www.rlkeller-christianauthor.blogspot.com
Stop by and check them out from time to time to see what has changed. May God's blessings to you be abundant. rlkeller

TOTAL PAGEVIEWS

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

The 6th Sin Every Christian Must Avoid

Coarse Language

 

            Why is it that today’s Christians think it’s appropriate to go toe to toe with unsaved people with what they say?  It doesn’t make you more relevant to match another’s coarse language. As Christians we are to be the opposite of the world. We are Christ’s ambassadors. We represent Him everywhere we go and with everything we say and do. Using profanity in the course of conversing with others, in my humble opinion, shows a severe lack of vocabulary. To have to resort to using profanity to get your point across is a bit pathetic. It becomes a bad habit that becomes difficult to control. 

Now I’m not going to sit here and lie to you by saying I never curse, because I do from time to time. That side of me usually comes out when I’m frustrated about something. That doesn’t make it right and I’m embarrassed to have to admit it to you, but it isn’t part of the fabric of my life. Before I was saved I used to curse quite a lot. It helped me fit in with my peers. Once saved, I began to deal with that issue and have mostly conquered it until something aggravates me and my tongue reveals a baser side of me.  I’m not perfect, but I am trying very hard to please the Lord in all areas of my life each day. Remember, there is ALWAYS forgiveness for those with a sincere and contrite heart toward their sin.

            Do you have a problem with cussing? It isn’t a habit that’s easy to break, is it? But it is breakable. We must make it a top priority to rid ourselves of this problem. It actually becomes an issue of self-control. When I do curse, typically when I’m by myself, I immediately feel guilty and ashamed and ask for forgiveness right away. It is at that precise moment that I ask myself and God why He puts up with me. That is what unconditional love is. Regardless of what we say and do, God loves us. Whether He’s disappointed in me isn’t known, but I know I am disappointed in myself because I know better.

            Another related topic is a person’s penchant to take the Lord’s name in vain. It’s curious to me that no other religious figure’s name is used in this manner. Only God and Jesus Christ. Does that seem odd to you? It does to me. It says to me that Jesus Christ is the only name by which men might be saved (as scripture says) and so the devil tries to minimize the incredible value of His name. He tries to make it so commonplace that it has no special meaning anymore. As believers in Christ we mustn’t take His name in vain. We must praise His name, not vilify it.

            Our testimony is at stake here. How we are perceived by the public at large is critically important. Do we come across to others as being different from them? Are the differences noticeable for good or bad reasons? Remember, we are no longer our own. We represent Almighty God. We must strive to rid ourselves of worldly traits, thus making us more like Christ a little more each day. 

            One verse that has always haunted me regarding my cussing is James 3:11-12 NIV “Can both fresh water and saltwater flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.” The answer to those question is NO. So it is all the more important to continue striving for perfection knowing full well that we can never achieve it. 

            In Matthew 15:10-11, the Lord tells us, “Listen and understand. What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.” James 1:26 says, “Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.”

            Another verse that is even more direct is Ephesians 5:4, “Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.” Take heed of all negative talk. Be an uplifter, not a destroyer. Encourage, don’t discourage. Edify, don’t drag down. Rid yourself of all profanity and coarse talk. It is not befitting of a child of God.

            Next we will look at Notoriety and the seeking thereof. Until then, walk with the King and be a blessing.

In His Name & for His Glory,

Richard Keller

Bread of Life Ministries

No comments: