“Jesus said to the people who believed in him, ‘You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’” John 8:31-32
It’s the one who learns of Christ’s standards and lives by them that is a true disciple of His. Just saying you believe is not nearly enough. I know there are verses in the Bible that say you only need to believe (Acts 16:30-31; Romans 10:9), however, it also says that we are to be changed (2 Corinthians 5:17) and we are to be a holy people (Leviticus 20:26; 1 Peter 1:16). It also says we are to be like Jesus in our words and actions (1 Corinthians 11:1; Philippians 2:1:10).
What good does it do anyone if we profess to be followers of Christ yet have no resemblance to Him? People ought to see a decided difference in how we conduct our lives each day. While we aren’t stuffed shirt, tea-totaling folks who shun every aspect of the world, we also shouldn’t be partaking in things just to show we are relevant. Christians need to have an in it but not of it mentality. We live here and mingle among unbelievers each day. How are we making the lives of others better? Or are we simply rolling thru life focused on our own needs and the needs of our own family. Doesn’t the Lord say in scripture that He will meet our every need (Philippians 4:19)? Needs, mind you, not wants. If God will meet all our needs than we can place our focus on helping meet the needs of others.
God loves us unconditionally and forever. Let us not allow the troubles of this world to disturb the beautiful blessing that we can be to those we encounter each day. We are loved and forgiven. Share that with others. Let them know there is a God who is waiting for them with open arms. Until next time, walk with the King and be a blessing!
NOTE: The NEW LIVING TRANSLATION; Publisher: Tyndale House.
1. Acts 16:30-31 "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."
2. Romans 10:9 “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”
3. 2 Corinthians 5:17 “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!”
4. Leviticus 20:26 “You are to be holy to me because I, the LORD, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own.”
5. 1 Peter 1:16 “For the Scriptures say, ‘You must be holy because I am holy.’"
6. 1 Corinthians 11:1 “And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.”
7. Philippians 2:5 “Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, …”
8. Philippians 4:19 “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.”