BREAD OF LIFE MINISTRIES

TEACHINGS DESIGNED TO EDUCATE, EDIFY & MAKE YOU THINK!!
____________________
Website: www.rlkeller4291.wixsite.com/mysite
Ministry Blog Link: www.pandevidamin.blogspot.com
Author Blog Link: www.rlkeller-christianauthor.blogspot.com
Stop by and check them out from time to time to see what has changed. May God's blessings to you be abundant. rlkeller

TOTAL PAGEVIEWS

Monday, February 17, 2020

Thoughts From a Random Mind

           I’m rereading a book I read a number of years ago by Donald Miller called ‘Blue Like Jazz’. I remembered it being a really thought provoking book so I bought myself another copy just before Christmas. I’m only on chapter 4 but something struck me as I was reading … Don was having a conversation with a female atheist he met at a small liberal arts college in Oregon. They were discussing the state of racism in Christianity and Don said, “I understand (racism) is a terrible & painful problem, but in light of the whole picture, racism is a signal of something greater. There is a larger problem here than tension between ethnic groups. …self-absorption. If you think about it, the human race is pretty self-absorbed.” He continued, “…as a human, I am flawed in that it is difficult for me to consider others before myself.” “If we, as a species, could fix our self-absorption, we could end a lot of pain in the world.” “Later that same day his atheist friend ‘hinted’ that she agreed about this problem of self-absorption. She called it sin.”[1]  
            The notion of self-absorption is interesting to me because I have been saying that for a few years now. We are all selfish to a point…every one of us. At least I know I can be. Scripture talks about being selfless, which obviously is the opposite of being selfish. All I want is a comfortable life with as little stress and conflict as humanly possible. Being a Christian can be stressful at times. Conflicts arise simply from the fact that I am a Christian. I try to be Christ as best I can with the continued help of the Holy Spirit, but the pull to satisfy self is strong & I fail being selfless quite frequently. My wife is far more selfless than I am. I admire her for that quality. Still I strive to be more like Christ each day, regardless of the daily end result.
            Self-absorption is a sin. Even an atheist says so. Don, in response, asked how she could believe in sin but not in God? “I just do,” she said. Don replied, “But you can’t.” To which she replied, “I can do what I want.” Don feels she will come to the Lord some day.
            Self-absorption is a big problem. We must follow Christ’s example & not act as though we are more important than anyone or anything we encounter each day. God will meet your needs so you can be used to meet another’s needs. Until next time, walk with the King & be a blessing! rlkeller
Resource: [1] Blue Like Jazz, by Don Miller, Thomas Nelson, p.41.

No comments: